Masterpiece Dioramas - Project #43
Difficulty: Moderate to Advanced
Cleanup: Soap & Water
Choose a masterpiece painting to feature in a diorama box. This example is based on Henri Rousseau's painting, "The Sleeping Gypsy." This project also has an instructional video based on Edvard Munch's "The Scream" available!
Step 1Choose a masterpiece painting to feature in the diorama box. This example is based on Henri Rousseau's painting, "The Sleeping Gypsy." Our YouTube video of this project is based on Edvard Munch's "The Scream."
Step 2To prepare the backdrop for the diorama, cut one 15-1/2 x 6" back piece and two 6-1/2 x 6" side pieces out of bristol board. Tape the three pieces together on the back side. Color the backdrop with Crayola Color Sticks and glue into the back of the diorama box.
Step 3Divide the rest of the picture into background, middleground and foreground parts, or more, if necessary. For this example, the mountains are the background; the lion and boulder are the middleground, and the sleeping gypsy, guitar, bottle and boulder make up the foreground. Color each piece with colored pencils, leaving 1/4" on the bottom for a glue tab.
Step 4Cut out the individual parts and fold back the glue tab.
Step 5To assemble the diorama, start at the back and glue the background in place. Next, glue the middle parts in place. Add depth by overlapping pieces. Glue the foreground parts next. To add more depth, there is another mound glued in the very front.
- 120 Great Paintings Electronic Clip Art by Dover (D-996778)
- Crayola Colored Pencils 12-Color Set (B-4012E)
- Crayola Colored Pencils 24-Color Set (B-4024E)
- Crayola Colored Pencils 36-Color Set (B-4036)
- Crayola Colored Pencils 50-Color Set (B-4050)
- Crayola Color Sticks 12-Color Set (B-2312)
- Crayola Color Sticks 24-Color Set (B-2324)
- Flipside Diorama Box (FPI-30800)
- Strathmore 300 Series Vellum Bristol Pads - 14x17 (STR-342114)
- Strathmore 300 Series Vellum Bristol Pads - 19x24 (STR-342119)