Time: 2-4 Class Periods
Cleanup: Soap & Water
Cleanup: Soap & Water
Paper Mache Paste
Imitation Peacock Feathers
Black Card Stock or Construction Paper
White Tagboard or Card Stock
Make a peacock out of paper mache! This project also has an instructional video available!
- Step 1To make a newsprint armature for the peacock sculpture, first crumple and tape a 3" diameter body shape. Second, crumple and tape a 7" tall neck and head shape. Then, tape the two pieces together and bend the neck to form the head.
- Step 2Twist together four 6" pieces of 16-gauge annealed wire. Leave the last 1" untwisted and bend to form the toes of the feet. Insert the legs into the newsprint armature. Make sure the sculpture is balanced and can stand on its own.
- Step 3Mix the paper mache paste according to the directions on the package. Dip newsprint (or newspaper) into the paste and apply to the paper and wire armature. Repeat with two or three more layers. Use strips to wrap the legs and feet. Twist pieces of paper and adhere with paste to create eye and head details.
- Step 4Cut a 3x5" piece of tagboard. Bend it in half and cut a crescent shape. Attach the crescent shape to the back of the peacock with three more layers of papier mâché and allow to dry.
- Step 5Paint the peacock with metallic acrylics and allow it to dry. Using a half sheet of black cardstock, cut out 1-1/2 x 3/4" feather shapes and fold in half and unfold (to create dimension). Glue the paper feathers to the crescent tail in a fan-like fashion. You will need approximately 60-70 feathers.
- Step 6Paint the feathers with metallic acrylics, let dry. With an awl (or other pointed tool) punch holes in the back of the body and insert peacock feathers. Add a shortened feather to the top of the head if desired.
- Creativity Street Peacock Feathers (C-4515)
- HomeTools Wire Cutter (SUR-32148)
- Pacon Black Card Stock (P-101187)
- Pacon Newsprint Drawing Paper, 9x12" (P-3407)
- Parawire Annealed Wire - 16-Gauge, 480 ft. spool (CMS-DA16)
- Elmer's Paper Mache Art Paste (E-99000)
- Shurtape Economy Masking Tape, 1" x 60 yds. (STI-100530)
- Tru-Ray Construction Paper - 9x12", Black (P-103029)