Stained Glass Suncatcher - Project #117
Time: 2-3 Class Periods
Cleanup: Soap & Water
Cleanup: Soap & Water
Glass Sheets in assorted colors
Wheeled Glass Nippers
Solder & Soldering Paste
Use project instructions to make your own stained glass piece of art!
Step 1Draw a design template on a 7" diameter circle. Number each part and cut out.
Step 2Choose your colors and glass pieces that will fit your design. Lay sections of design on the glass and use the glass cutter to score the glass so you can snap it off close to the edge. (It is a good idea to wear safety goggles while breaking, snapping, nipping and grinding glass.)
Step 3Snap glass at the score line using running or breaker pliers.
Step 4Remove most of the glass surrounding each piece of the design using the wheeled glass nippers.
Step 5Glue the design template pieces onto the glass so the paper doesn't slide around.
Step 6Use the power grinder to smooth all of the edges of glass so that each piece matches the paper template. (It is a good idea to use a dust mask while grinding glass.)
Step 7Lay out all of the glass pieces to make sure they fit together properly. Grind down problem areas.
Step 8Wrap the edges of each piece of glass with copper foil tape.
Step 9Brush a coat of the flux paste onto every bit of the copper foil. Solder all of the pieces together using the iron and solder.
Step 10To make the looped hanger, twist wire together from each end until it meets in the center. Solder the hanger to the bottom of the stained glass.
Step 11Attach a chain to the looped hanger for displaying.
- Beadalon Steel Chain - Medium Curb (BE-05986)
- Jennifer's Mosaics Cathedral Glass Scrap Packs - 10 lb. Box (DTI-G001SP)
- MasterCraft 60/40 Solder (DTI-675A)
- Opalescent Cathedral Stained Glass Sheet Assortment (DTI-94002)
- Opaque Stained Glass Sheet Assortment (DTI-94001)
- Parawire Copper Wire - 18-Gauge, 202 ft. spool (CMS-C18)
- Power Max II Grinder (DTI-555)
- Rubyfluid Flux Soldering Paste (DTI-388)
- Studio 100 Soldering Iron (DTI-679)
- Studio Line Copper Foil - 1/4 Wide (DTI-680)
- Studio Line Copper Foil - 3/8 Wide (DTI-678)
- Studio Line Copper Foil - 7/32 Wide (DTI-681)
- Studio Pro Breaker/Grozer Pliers (DTI-601)
- Studio Pro Glass Cutter (DTI-664)
- Studio Pro Running Pliers (DTI-600)
- Wheeled Glass Nippers (DTI-491)