Charles Demuth-Inspired Number Drawing Project
Time: 2-3 Class Periods
Project Kit (see Products Used below steps)
Materials needed if not using Project Kit:
9x12" Mixed Media Paper
Roylco Big Number Stencils
Charles Henry Buckius Demuth was a Precisionist that emphasized clear geometric shapes and sharp lines. Create your own Demuth-Inspired drawing using colored pencils! This project also has an instructional video available!Click here to print a PDF of this project
- Step 1Use the number stencils to draw a few numbers on a sheet of white drawing paper.
- Step 2Use a compass or circle stencils to draw several circles on top of the numbers.
- Step 3Use a ruler to draw lines to fragment the design.
- Step 4Use the colored pencils to block in colors.
- Step 5Build up colors with the colored pencils. Leave highlights and blend in some shading.
- Step 6Finish the drawing by building up the shading with darker colors and adding shadows with black.