Time: 1-2 Class Periods
Cleanup: Soap & Water
Cleanup: Soap & Water
9x12" Construction Paper in Black and White
9x12" Multicultural Construction Paper
Create your own salvador Dali mustache portrait! This project also has an instructional video available!
- Step 1Draw two lines 1" from the sides of a 9x12" sheet of white construction paper. Using a compass, from the center of the paper, draw an eyeball circle between the lines. Draw a second circle 3-1/2" in diameter for the iris. Draw a third circle 1" in diameter for the pupil.
For a video with stills of each step, follow this link: Dali Mustache Portrait - Part 1
For a video of each piece being created in real-time, follow this link: Dali Mustache Portrait - Part 2
- Step 2With a light yellow pastel, color slightly inside the eyeball’s outer circle. Outline the iris circle as well. With a red pastel, shade the eyeball’s outer circle. Add some red veins.
- Step 3Start coloring the iris. With a light pastel, outline the iris circle. Draw lines radiating out from the center.
- Step 4With a medium pastel of the same color, add more radiating lines.
- Step 5Continue making more lines with a darker pastel of the same color. At this point, the entire iris should be filled in with layers of radiating lines.
- Step 6Color the pupil black. Outline the outer circle of the iris and add a few black detail lines to the iris. With a white pastel, add some white reflection marks to the iris. You can also add some white lines to the iris if desired.
- Step 7Trace the eye shape template onto a sheet of multicultural construction paper and cut out the eye opening. Using assorted colors, draw the eyelids and shade the eye. Use the Step 7 image for reference.
- Step 8Cut 4 pieces of black construction paper as shown. Cut the 1x9" piece into an eyebrow and fringe cut. Fringe cut both 1-1/2 x 9" pieces. Tear out every other strip, making eyelashes. Cut the 2x9" piece into a mustache.
- Step 9On the backside of the eye sheet, glue the eyelashes in place. Tear the eyelashes into smaller sections around the curves of the eye. Bend the eyelashes to give them shape.
- Step 10Add the mustache and eyebrow to the front of the eye sheet. Glue the eye sheet on top of the eyeball sheet. Glue the sides in about 1/8" in from the edge of the eyeball page so it bows up for added dimension. Trim the excess white paper to complete your mustache portrait.