Mosaic Gecko - Project #99
Time: 2-3 Class Periods
Cleanup: Soap & Water
Cleanup: Soap & Water
Plastic Mosaic Shapes
Stained Glass Chips
Wheeled Glass Nippers
Use colorful mosaics and air dry clay to make a gecko! This project also has an instructional video available!
Step 1Starting with 1 lb. of Crayola Air-Dry Clay or Stonex Self-Hardening Clay, divide and shape the legs and body of a Gecko. Use about 3/4 lb. for the body and the rest for the legs.
Step 2Flatten the body shape with a rolling pin until it becomes one even slab of clay measuring about 1/4" thick.
Step 3Twist a 9x12" sheet of newsprint paper into a gecko body shape, about 7" to 8" long. Drape the slab over the paper.
Step 4Form the Gecko body around the paper. Score and attach the legs firmly onto the body.
Step 5Press mosaic pieces into the gecko. Our example features pre-cut mosaic squares. You can use wheeled glass nippers to cut larger stained glass pieces into specific shapes. For younger students, try pre-cut plastic mosaic pieces. Sculpt details into the clay with modeling tools, such as toes on the feet.
Step 6Allow the clay to dry overnight, until leather-hard, then carve more details if desired. You can also remove the newsprint from inside the body at this point. Once the sculpture is completely dry, paint with acrylic paint. Wipe any paint off the mosaic pieces with a brush or sponge before the paint dries.
- AMACO Stonex Self-Hardening Clay - 25 lb. (A-47339A)
- AMACO Stonex Self-Hardening Clay - 5 lb. (A-47338C)
- Crayola Air-Dry Clay - White, 2.5 lb. (B-55050)
- Crayola Air-Dry Clay - White, 25 lb. (B-55001)
- Creativity Street Plastic Mosaic Shapes (C-3588)
- Diamond Tech Bright Mosaic Stained Glass (DTI-MS340)
- Diamond Tech Primary Mosaic Stained Glass (DTI-MS341)
- Jennifer's Mosaics Cathedral Glass Chips Assortment (DTI-361CB)
- Jennifer's Mosaics Classico Venetian Glass Tile Assortment (DTI-625)
- Jennifer's Mosaics Colored Glass Gems - 3 lb. Assortment (DTI-MS272)
- Jennifer's Mosaics Colored Glass Gems - 3/8 (DTI-MS269)
- Jennifer's Mosaics Iridized Venetian Glass Tile Mix (DTI-T318)
- Wheeled Glass Nippers (DTI-491)