Paper Strip Kente Weaving - Project #164
Time: 2-3 Class Periods
Project Kit (see Products Used below steps)
Materials needed if not using Project Kit:
Hygloss Paper Weaving Strips
Jumbo Roving Yarn in assorted colors
Use paper strips to make project that resembles woven kente cloth. This project also has an instructional video available!
Step 1Start off with one horizontal and 13 vertical weaving strips. With glue stick, glue each vertical strip to the horizontal strip across the top. The horizontal strip can either be woven through the vertical strips or glued straight (which is easier for younger children).
Step 2Choose 15 more weaving strips. Weave these strips horizontally through the vertical strips, starting from the top and finishing a few inches from the bottom. Trim the ends of the horizontal strips flush with the vertical strips.
Step 3Use black markers to create Kente design accents.
Step 4Add texture by weaving yarn pieces into the Kente project with a yarn needle. Use scissors to cut the remaining bottom vertical strips to look like fringe.
- Paper Strip Kente Weaving Project Kits, Complete Kit (USCPK164)
- Paper Strip Kente Weaving Project Kits, Refill Kit (USCPK164R)
- Crayola Broad Line Marker Refills - Black (B-7751)
- Elmer's Washable School Glue Sticks - Single Sticks, 0.21 oz. Purple (E-E514)
- Hygloss Paper Weaving Strips (HY-15781)
- Pacon Yarn Needles - 3 Extra-Large Eye (P-00830)
- Pepperell Jumbo Roving Yarn - Light Green (PYR-JRYB06)
- Pepperell Jumbo Roving Yarn - Orange (PYR-JRYB04)
- Pepperell Jumbo Roving Yarn - Yellow (PYR-JRYB03)