Time: 2-3 Class Periods
Project Kit (see Products Used below steps)
Materials needed if not using Project Kit:
String or Thread
Artstraws Paper Tubes
Learn how to create a striking Himmeli (a traditional Finnish ornament) Star Mobile using straws and string! This project also has an instructional video available!Click here to print a PDF of this project
- Step 1Cut 12 pieces of straw (we used red straws for this step), each measuring 2". Thread the weaving needle with approximately 30" of string (or thread). String six pieces together to form a hexagon and tie the ends in a knot. Repeat with the second set of six pieces for an identical hexagon.
- Step 2Cut out six more 2" pieces of straw (we used blue straws for this step) to use as cross braces. Tie the first cross brace to a hexagon joint using an additional 30" piece of string. Next, pass the string through to next joint, as shown.
- Step 3Using the same method as in Step 2, continue passing string through to the next cross brace. Keep stringing cross braces until all six are added. This will create a complete base. Add more 30" lengths of string to the needle as needed.
- Step 4Cut 24 pieces of straw (we used yellow straws for this step), each should measure 4" in length. String two 4" sections and tie them to opposite corners of one of the six sides of the base. Pass the string through to next joint.
- Step 5String and tie the third piece of straw to middle point.
- Step 6String and tie the fourth piece of straw to complete point.
- Step 7Repeat Steps 4-6 with remaining pieces of straw to create the five additional points to the star.
- Step 8Cut 12 pieces of straw (we used green straws for this step), each should measure 4" in length. Using the same method to attach the pieces as in Steps 4-7, attach six straw pieces to the top and bottom of the base to finish the star. Tie a string to one end of the star for hanging.
- Himmeli Star Mobile Project Kit With Colored Artstraws (USCPK71B)
- Himmeli Star Mobile Project Kit With White Artstraws (USCPK71A)
- Susan Bates Weaving Needle (CAR-04085)
- Artstraws Paper Tubes Colored 1800-Count (C-9230)
- Artstraws Paper Tubes White 1800-Count (C-9030)
- Aunt Lydia's White Crochet Thread (CAR-90772)